Wednesday 3 December 2014

My Homemade Degu Cages

I spent all of yesterday furnishing the cages and getting them ready for moving in the ladies. Here are the finished products:


Here are some close ups of each level.

Top level 


The top level has the 35cm diameter wheel and the nest box. I hung the nest box from the ceiling using hooks and used some wooden play sticks as a ramp. Morph is kindly posing in the wheel for me :)

Second level


For the second level I used another branch and some clay pots for climbing. I've also got the offcuts of logs and some coconut shells that I bought from asda and hollowed out. At the back you can see one of the log staircases I made. They work really well and the girls can easily climb them up to the next level. Here is a photo of the little food table I made - the main purpose of this is just to keep the bowls off the ground so they don't get filled with sawdust. It's also super cute to watch them sitting at the tables nibbling their food.

Bottom level


I make and sell my Flying Saucers here http://r.ebay.com/vUadSo

The bottom level has the saucer I made and also the sand bath. I used a terracotta wall pot for the sand bath and I'm really pleased with it, it's big enough for the girls to roll around and the opening is really large so they can jump in and out with ease. Sky is sitting on the staircase wondering what I'm doing, she is a very timid little degu so I was surprised she sat here watching me!

As I was taking these photos Sky & Morph decided to have a little sit down haha - 


& finally just one last photo of the cages side by side. 


The girls seem really happy and it's so much fun watching them running around and exploring their new home. It was a lot of hard work but I'm really proud of the end result. 


2 comments:

  1. Much obliged to you for composing this data.
    gerbil cages

    ReplyDelete
  2. How did you make that cage :o abs unreal!! If you could give me tips been wanting to make my own for ages 🙈

    ReplyDelete